Showing 1 - 20 of 89 results.
Items per Page
Page of 5
bringin' the wife
9/8/10 9:24 PM
So, when is the best time to show off the beig apple to a newbie
RE: bringin' the wife
9/9/10 9:12 AM as a reply to larsline.
Well, anytime is the best time to experience New York. Remember it is the CITY that never sleeps so there is always something to do.
9/9/10 10:56 AM as a reply to larsline.
Having lived and worked in NYC for 5 years, the best time to come is the Fall (most immediate). The leaves are turning, the air is crisp,and its a beautiful time of year.
9/9/10 12:03 PM as a reply to larsline.
I would say Sept/Oct are the best times. Weather is very nice right now. Spring would also be good.
9/9/10 1:05 PM as a reply to fss8221985.
I think it all depends on what type of weather you like (season) and what you want to do.
9/9/10 1:13 PM as a reply to larsline.
The winters here are pretty windy and tough. Definitely voice everyone's opinion by saying fall / spring is the best. Summers tend to be hot and smelly.
9/9/10 1:14 PM as a reply to larsline.
You would have more fun if you left the wife home LOL
9/9/10 1:17 PM as a reply to larsline.
I think spring & fall. Winter can get very very cold (especially depending on where you're from) & summer's can get super hot pounding the pavement. Unfortunately, you have to wish for luck it doesnt rain b/c rainy days in Manhattan are no fun dodging umbrellas & trying to catch a cab but otherwise, the temperature shouldn't be bad.
9/9/10 1:27 PM as a reply to tygerlily.
I disagree,

while summers are quite sweaty and can be unpleasant, I think that the best time to bring a newbie to the city is the winter- particularly around Christmastime. If you're going to be in the touristy parts of Manhattan, thats about the only time I can even take being around there. It just has a certain magic when its all lit up- Rockefeller center, Macy's windows, etc. Its definitely the kind of thing people from outside the city picture when they think of NYC

Note: make sure to go check out Lincoln Center too, they always have a beautiful tree, and its one of my favorite spots. If you have the dough, you can check out the NYC ballet (nutcracker) or a show at the operahouse too, if youre into that kind of thing.
9/9/10 1:33 PM as a reply to fss8221985.
I have to agree Sept/Oct are the best time. Temp is around 70/80. Not too much rain. Great to travel around. But if your wife love snow or shop alot. She can wait until x'mas for that.
9/9/10 1:46 PM as a reply to kw041081.
Agreed - love the fall weather!
9/9/10 1:49 PM as a reply to nabalab.
Definitely agree that September/October is the easiest time to walk around the city temperature wise. It's hard to beat Christmas in the city though for site-seeing.
9/9/10 2:03 PM as a reply to wango55.
Ditto. For comfort, late Spring and early Fall are the best. For great scenery, Christmas is the time to go.
9/9/10 2:05 PM as a reply to larsline.
noooo dont do it..not a good idea..
haha just kidding..spring or fall is the best..summer and winter are extremes.
9/9/10 2:17 PM as a reply to larsline.
I think October. It's not oppressively hot nor too cold, the tourist crowds aren't as bad as they can be at other times of year, and there's always stuff to do. Though... the NYC Marathon would be a great time to visit, too.
9/9/10 2:21 PM as a reply to larsline.
If she's not used to cold weather, then bring her during the fall. But I like it during Christmas time.
9/9/10 2:23 PM as a reply to charmedbeneath.
Just be aware if you visit during Christmas there are TONS of tourists. I'd recommend the fall as well, or summer, when you can catch free SummerStage concerts in Central Park.
9/9/10 2:54 PM as a reply to megintheburgh.
I didn't know central park did that, I've only been to NY once, and I am wanting to bring my wife this next time. Summer will probably be the best for us. Thanks for the tip!
9/9/10 2:57 PM as a reply to larsline.
I agree with many of the others that spring and fall are the best seasons for a first-timer. The summer can get extremely hot, and the winter gets bitter cold with the wind, so since you'll probably be doing a lot of walking outside those seasons are not good. Fall is lovely with all the leaves and you can usually get away with just a sweater, no coat. Very nice for sightseeing and shopping!
9/9/10 3:03 PM as a reply to stupeydoodle.
I would definitely say Fall but Christmas time is pretty magical except for the temperatures!
Showing 1 - 20 of 89 results.
Items per Page
Page of 5