Flat View Tree View
Threads [ Previous | Next ]
Places to eat in NYC
Showing 1 - 20 of 415 results.
Items per Page
Page of 21
Places to eat in NYC
9/9/10 11:25 AM
Keanes steak house is the place to be if by Penn Station and the garden , hit it up before a Rangers game or concert food is great as is the atmospere , George Washington and many of the presidents use to eat and drink here.
RE: Places to eat in NYC
9/9/10 11:56 AM as a reply to jd94.
Head to Paulie Gee's in Greenpoint, Brooklyn for the best new pizza place -- it's already on the shortlist for best pies in NYC.

1. Napoli style pizza, anchored by amazing dough and mozzarella, with creative toppings
  2. Paulie chats with everyone who comes in and is eager to please
  3. Bacon marmalade
  4. Nutella dessert pies with bananas
9/9/10 11:58 AM as a reply to jd94.
I recommend Babbo for casual dining.
They serve best pasta and have good wine choices.

For steaks, I'd travel down to Brooklyn: Peter Luger!
9/9/10 12:02 PM as a reply to jd94.
My two favorites:

Halal stand on 53rd and 6th.
Gordon Ramsay at the London.
9/9/10 12:07 PM as a reply to jd94.
Socarrat Paella Bar
259 West 19th Street
New York, NY 10011
(212) 462-1000

no reservations, long waits on weekend for dinner, better to go during lunch
9/9/10 12:17 PM as a reply to jd94.
If you near w4th head to Negrills (West Indian $$).
Near 23rd street head to Rohm (Thai$$).
Near 34th street head to Tad's Steak (American Steaks $) house or Mandangsu (korean bbq $$).
Near 42nd Street head to Yoshinoya (Japanese Take out $)
9/9/10 12:24 PM as a reply to jd94.
If you are in the mood for some good Ethiopian cuisine, I suggest Queen of Sheba restaurant located, I believe, on 47th between 10th and 11th avenue on the west side.
It is a relatively small place, but the food is amazing and authentic. I testify as an Ethiopian! emoticon
Make sure to ask for the Ethiopian traditional coffee.

Enjoy your stay in NYC!

warm wishes
9/9/10 12:42 PM as a reply to jd94.
I go to NYC once a year and must go to El Quijote everytime. They have wonderful, authentic Spanish food and drinks (including fruity pitchers of sangria) served by a very friendly and accomidating staff. They also have very reasonably priced fresh seafood, such as stuffed lobster.
They are located in Chelsea, next to the Chelsea Hotel.

For more info:
(212) 929-1855
elquijotenyc.com
226 W 23rd St
(between 7th Ave & 8th Ave)
New York, NY 10011
Enjoy!!
9/9/10 12:42 PM as a reply to jd94.
If you're looking for something different, but still very delicious then I'd highly recommend Ippudo in Union Square. It's a japanese ramen restaurant that easily rivals Momofuku for both the Ramen and the Pork buns. My girlfriend and I have taken a few other couples there and now they're always asking to go back!
9/9/10 12:59 PM as a reply to dsulls.
If you're not from a big city with a decent asian population, this might be something you've never tried, Banh Mi. My two favorite places that serves this up are

Banh Mi Saigon Bakery in Chinatown for their Classic Sandwich

and

Hanco's in Brooklyn for their Pork Sandwich

IMO, one of the best cheap eats the city has to offer.
9/9/10 1:00 PM as a reply to dsulls.
Carnegie's has monster size pastrami sandwiches.
854 7th Avenue at 55th Street, New York, New York, 10019

like around 1-2 pounds of beef per sandwich

http://www.carnegiedeli.com/home.php
9/9/10 1:02 PM as a reply to jd94.
I lived in NY for 4 years and so I naturally have a long list of must-eat places:

- halal food cart on 53rd st. and 6th ave (open after 7pm)
- Shake Shack (upper west side location is less crowded)
- while up in UWS, go to Levain Bakery for the best cookies.
- doughnuts at Doughnut Plant... in lower east side
- mexican style corn at Cafe Habana (faster if you go to express side next door to restaurant)
- Pommes Frites in East Village near St. Marks
- Dessert Truck (in East Village at night time on weekends, they have other locations, should check their website)
- Ippudo for best ramen (East Village)
- Chikalicious (there's a dessert bar and across the street a cafe side, in East Village)
- pizza at either Grimaldi's in Brooklyn (usually 30 min wait in line) or for a shorter wait, go to Patsy's on 60th Street... across the street from Patsy's is Serendipity (2 hour wait... you can put your name down at Serendipity, then eat at Patsy's and come back). or best pizza by the slice at Artichoke near East Village
- soup dumplings at Joe's Shanghai or Joe's Ginger (ginger is less crowded, same menu, same street)
- Chinatown Ice Cream Factory
- BBQ ribs at Dinosaur in Harlem (please do not go to Dallas BBQ)
- Max Brenner Chocolate by the Bald Man in Union Sq or East Village
- S'Mac for mac n cheese (east village or UWS)
some other places i've added to my list from what i've seen on TV:
- Corsino (for crustinis)
- The Meatball Shop

for cupcakes my favorite in NY are Billy's (in Chelsea, i think), Crumbs (but it's a franchise), and Sugar Sweet Sunshine. Magnolia's is not that impressive and overrated.

Interesting bars I've been to:
- The Backroom (it's unmarked and difficult to know where you're going unless if you follow someone in. it's a speakeasy style bar). Lower East Side.
- PDT (Please Don't Tell). Found through the phone booth stall inside of Crif Dogs in East Village. Because of the mysterious phone booth, it's also a speakeasy style place.
9/9/10 1:03 PM as a reply to fss8221985.
I've always wanted to try the London in Times Square.
9/9/10 1:09 PM as a reply to trannietoes.
Always amazed with the line at Halal food on 53rd. What I don't get is there are tons of other "Halal Food" stands around the area. Doesn't that lead to confusion as to which one is the best one? What don't they make their's unique by saying "Baba's Halal Food" or something...

trannietoes:
I lived in NY for 4 years and so I naturally have a long list of must-eat places:

- halal food cart on 53rd st. and 6th ave (open after 7pm)
- Shake Shack (upper west side location is less crowded)
- while up in UWS, go to Levain Bakery for the best cookies.
- doughnuts at Doughnut Plant... in lower east side
- mexican style corn at Cafe Habana (faster if you go to express side next door to restaurant)
- Pommes Frites in East Village near St. Marks
- Dessert Truck (in East Village at night time on weekends, they have other locations, should check their website)
- Ippudo for best ramen (East Village)
- Chikalicious (there's a dessert bar and across the street a cafe side, in East Village)
- pizza at either Grimaldi's in Brooklyn (usually 30 min wait in line) or for a shorter wait, go to Patsy's on 60th Street... across the street from Patsy's is Serendipity (2 hour wait... you can put your name down at Serendipity, then eat at Patsy's and come back). or best pizza by the slice at Artichoke near East Village
- soup dumplings at Joe's Shanghai or Joe's Ginger (ginger is less crowded, same menu, same street)
- Chinatown Ice Cream Factory
- BBQ ribs at Dinosaur in Harlem (please do not go to Dallas BBQ)
- Max Brenner Chocolate by the Bald Man in Union Sq or East Village
- S'Mac for mac n cheese (east village or UWS)
some other places i've added to my list from what i've seen on TV:
- Corsino (for crustinis)
- The Meatball Shop

for cupcakes my favorite in NY are Billy's (in Chelsea, i think), Crumbs (but it's a franchise), and Sugar Sweet Sunshine. Magnolia's is not that impressive and overrated.

Interesting bars I've been to:
- The Backroom (it's unmarked and difficult to know where you're going unless if you follow someone in. it's a speakeasy style bar). Lower East Side.
- PDT (Please Don't Tell). Found through the phone booth stall inside of Crif Dogs in East Village. Because of the mysterious phone booth, it's also a speakeasy style place.
9/9/10 1:15 PM as a reply to ryuryubu.
They do have a name, its famous halal at 53rd if i recall. But u can recognize them by their yellow bags and their sauce containers!
9/9/10 1:17 PM as a reply to jd94.
any pizza/Chinese place
9/9/10 1:21 PM as a reply to itappedout.
definitely second the halal cart at 53rd, be careful though, one serving of that stuff is like 4000 calories.

other than that, don't underestimate Brooklyn for food, it is worth venturing over the brooklyn bridge for grimaldi's famous pizza and brooklyn ice cream factory..... combined with the sights of manhattan and the bridge it is a perfect date spot.

Even brooklyn heights and DUMBO are well worth just walking around in. you'll definitely find something special hidden away.
9/9/10 1:22 PM as a reply to jd94.
Joe's Shanghai for Shanghainese chinese food. Something different that your normal chinese takeout. Try the soup dumplings here, and either the Shanghai noodles or Shanghai rice cakes.

Joe's Shanghai on Pell St in Chinatown. The one in midtown is not as good.
9/9/10 1:25 PM as a reply to jd94.
Kat'z Deli is a requirement for every visit to NYC
9/9/10 1:26 PM as a reply to jd94.
If you're looking for middle eastern food, you have to check out Mamouns. They have fantastic schwarma and falafel. Be gentle with the hot sauce, it's FIRE.

They have 2 locations

119 MacDougal St
New York, NY 10012

&

22 St. Marks Pl
New York, NY 10003
Showing 1 - 20 of 415 results.
Items per Page
Page of 21